It is quite convenient to use a GUI tools to manage the database. E.g. SQL Server Management Studio.
If you have installed SQL Server 2008 when you try to connect it with “SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager” You may receive a message to ask you to use Management Studio…etc.
When you search for MS SQL Management Studio 2008, you may be able to find a link for you to download Management Studio 2005
If you want to use MS SQL Server 2008 Management Studio. You would need to download “SQL Server 2008 Express with tools” or “SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services”. Or if you have a copy of SQL Server 2008 (Not the express edition), you can install it there.
You can go to the following URL to download SQL Server 2008 Express Edition
After you download SQL Server 2008 Express with Tools or Advanced Services.
You can go throught the installation process.
- Run the “.exe” file
- Then click on Installation on the Left hand side menu.
- Select “New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation”
- Then run throught the process to install the setup file and finish all the checking…etc
- (E.g. Click “Next”, “Next”, “Next”,…etc)
- Then you will see the “Installation Type” screen as below.
- Select “Add features to an existing instance of SQL Server 2008” (if you already installed SQL 2008) Or “Perform a new installation of SQL Server 2008” if you just want to use the tools
- If you selected “Perform a new installation of SQL Server 2008” you will see another screen about License Agreement
- After you agree the license you will see the following screen.
- Select “Shared Feature” -> “Management Tools – Basic”
- If will carry on ask you several question about when do you want to install to …etc.
- After gone through all the “Next”, “Next”, “Next”.
–>“Disk Space Requirement”
–>“Error and Usage Reporting”
13. Then you will come to a screen about “Ready to Install”
14. After you click on Install. It will process the installation.
15. Finally, you will see Management Studio on you “Start Menu”